Thursday, November 8, 2007

Another Chinese holiday I've never heard of...

Ladies an gentleman, get your party shoes out, my students told me that this Sunday is a Holiday.

"A holiday? What holiday? Chinese people sure have a lot of holidays."

November 11, I was informed, is the annual Bachelor's Day. Yeah, that's right, Bachelors (and I assume bachelorettes) day... a day to celebrate not being married! Get it... 11-11... one, one, one, one.

I thought it was just a cute joke, but come to find out, there's like, a big party in Hankou, which is another part of Wuhan, over the bridge from my part of town.

I couldn't really figure out what exactly you do. You gather with a bunch of other people to celebrate being alone. Hmm.

Anyway, it's my new favorite holiday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats amazing. We should celebrate this next year/I might go ahead and do it this year.

Emily