Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Desperate for Curriculum


I did it. I showed the first episode of Desperate Housewives for my class tonight. I meet with this particular class FOUR times a week, and my other classes only meet once a week, so I have to be creative! I was reluctant at first because it just sounds ridiculous for that show to be educational, but I was re-watching it, and I thought, wow! This is a goldmine of vocabulary! Also, it's one of the top shows in America, and I believe that if my students can understand the dialogue, then they can really understand English.

So, here is a list of vocabulary I explained to my students from the first episode of the current season:

"Let go" which led me to explain double entendres
fatal
"nick of time"
ventilator
conga line
publicist
pretty much
ecstatic
doomed
hoax
the '50s
reputation
wig
chemotherapy
pity
crooked
top dollar
dish (as slag for gossip, not food)
nursing home
sunbathe
radiant
"fit to be tied"
pact
extravagant
retractable
"throwing in the towel"
charades
"in too deep"
bailing
creepy
therapist
baby-sitter
fired
"black mail"

Told you it's a gold mine!

No comments: