Thursday, September 20, 2007

Worst Day in China by far - Stolen Purse :(

How ironic that my parting words from my last blog were about how great today was going to be. Yesterday was the best day I have had in China... but today was the worst.

My purse was stolen.

My camera, my cellphone, and my wallet... gone.


It happened literally in the blink of an eye. I was at McDonald's with three of my friends, I set my purse down in the chair next to me, so close it was almost touching me. I turned and it was GONE! Not myself nor any of my friends even noticed. At first I was so shocked that I couldn't even cry. I ran outside to try and find it... it was worth a shot, right? Once I realized, it was really gone, I started BALLING my eyes out and cursing all of China and wanting to go home.

Thankfully, Tina, my thoroughly Americanized Chinese friend was with me. She called the police and did all the translating. We went to the police station to file a claim and stuff. I was happy that they seemed to take it seriously, even if there's nothing really they can do.

The good news is...nobody died. I am trying SOOOOOOOO hard to have a good attitude. It helps that I have an amazing support system, both here and at home. I was with Tina, Jen and Kelli, who were so great. I couldn't have asked for a better group of caring people to be with. I keep telling myself that whoever took it must really need it and God bless them... it's hard. I'm trying to hard not to hate the person.

Am I cursed, or am I really blessed?


This is the second brand new Canon PowerShot digital camera I've had stolen. I must be cursed, right? Or am I really lucky to have had one consistently the past 2 years and to have the resources to do so?

The first was stolen not a month after I got it on a Disaster Relief trip to New Orleans. I bought a new one a few months later, which I had for a long time. Then, out of the blue, I received brand new one as a gift... I thought of it sort of as God restoring what I had lost, and I was totally pumped. At that time, I had two really great cameras, and I remembered what my Father said about "if you have two tunics, and your neighbor has none, give him your other tunic." So I sold my old one for a good price to another Good Worker. So, now I need a new "tunic" and I believe in Provision... look at all He has provided already. I just need to focus on that. Mt total loss was about $800, so in the grand scheme of things this is nothing. But then there's the "now scheme of things" and I'm in China with no cell phone or camera. But it's not going to last. He provides, He provides, I believe He supernaturally provides.

My mother is amazing. I called her once I got back to my apartment and told her. It's so funny... I told Jen at the police station, "Oh, I don't want to tell my mom and have her get upset... but she will be okay because I'm not physically harmed. If I was physically harmed, she would be on a jet right now to find the person!" Sure enough, I called my mom, told her, and she said almost verbatim what I said she was going to say. I love her. She comforted me and encouraged me, even though me being here is totally against her will.


I keep trying to cling to the promises I have based on the authority of His Word. It's hard. My friend Emily reminded me of a passage the other day that was exactly what I needed to hear. Today I need more.

I know what's going on, I'm smart enough to realize that this is an Attack. My Enemy is a coward and he is soo afraid right now, especially after my great day yesterday and the Meeting I had with my friend earlier today (which went well by the way) and the progress of the Pink Lights. It's still a bummer though, and I still feel so stupid for not like... I don't know, sitting on it or for carrying around such an expensive camera in the first place. I cannot let this get me down. It's hard. I want to be so mad, but that's what the enemy wants. He wants me to want to go home and hate China, but I am here for a Purpose, and I am here by will of my Father. I WILL be obedient, and I will stay here unless and until He tells me to go home. This is my lesson in being steadfast, and I'm going to pass the test now, so I don't have to retake it in the future!

"the THIEF comes only to kill steal and destroy, but I have come so they may have an enjoy their lives in abundance, to the full, until it overflows" Get it, the THIEF? You can take my stuff, but you will never steal my joy.


Besides... we got to ride in a police car with the lights flashing, and we asked them to turn the siren on too!

No comments: