
I still like it here. I've heard that everyone reaches their "wall" and experiences culture shock at different times, and I will be sure to let you all know when I reach mine. I've seen hints of breakdown from a few of the other foreign teachers here and there, but for the most part, we're not regretting our decision to come.
I had my medical exam today, which wasn't quite as awkward as I was anticipating, but it was still pretty bad. There were times when I was convinced that the likelyhood of me picking up a condition at the clinic was far greater than the chances of me having a preexisting condition, but I suppose rules are rules. It's not that it's flithy, it's just that I'm used to hypersanitization in the US.
While I was waiting, I met a Chinese girl who was there because she is going to the US to finish high school. Get this- She said she was going to Maryland, and I said "Oh, I live very close to Maryland. Do you know which city?" She said, "Easton." My dad lives in Easton! What a small world!
After the medical exam, I got lunch with Tina and Marian, who are not with our group. Tina was crazy enough to come by herself from New York, and Marian came with her husband, Roger, fron London. They are both funny and very enjoyable company. Marian is pushing 60 and she signed up for 3 years! But she has taught here before, so she showed Tina and I around the Teacher's cafeteria. She made a comment though that the foreign teachers usually stick together, but the Christian foreign teachers tend to be in their own world. I don't know if they know anything about me, I think Tina does, but I said I hope that doesn't happen, and if fall into a bubble, I invited them to come in and get me. Think for that, if you would.
I got together with a bunch of other foreign teachers for steamed dumplings and a movie at Steven and Kelli's. It was really nice seeing fresh faces and hearing about other peoples' experiences. We are all still learning our way around, so I hadn't talked to any of them since we left the airport. It's kind of like freshman year of college where nobody knows each other, you're in this big exciting new place, but you're kind of nervous, so you cling hardcore to the people in your dorm, and you travel in packs. So I enjoyed expanding my familiar 4-person network for a bit.
I think I have been giving myself a hard time about having to learn everything right away. I want to master the busses and be able to get around freely and judge how long it takes to get places, and it's sort of frustrating because I can't yet, and things are still unfamiliar to me, even if I've seen them before. But then I tell myself... "Okay Virginia, you've only been here 4 days!" When I put it in perspective, I'm actually surprised at myself. The fact that I've managed to eat 3 meals every day so far is impressive! It feels like so much longer though becasue of all the activities. It will be nice to get into a routine and get familair with Wuhan.
I just found a jackpot: CBS.com allows you to watch shows online. ABC and NBC and a lot of others block their programming in China. Jerks.
No comments:
Post a Comment