Friday, August 29, 2008

Post China Update 1


Wow! Has it been a year already since I left for China?/ Has it only been a year?
I can't decide which one I feel the strongest.

[At right: Lucy, Me, and Marisol pretending to catch our flight like the girls on America's Next Top Model... obvioulsy.]

So many of my friends are going back for another year without me, and I'm going to miss them and my students :(
Not to mention this whole paying rent/working-40-hours-a-week thing is NOT all it's cracked up to be!

Then again, I knew from the beginning that God very strongly and specifically called me to go for one year, and it hasn't been until recently that I've realized why. I NEVER thought I'd be getting married so quickly. Usually I end up waiting on God.. this time I'm trying to keep up with Him!

I've been living in Chicago about 2 months now, and it's so interesting how it compares and contrasts with China (besides the obvious- American food, speaking English, plumbing, etc.)

Same:
I still don't drive and I rely on public transportation
I still don't know my way around (although being able to read helps a LOT!)
I still go to Starbucks to relax (just not every day anymore)
I still miss and call my mom pretty much every day
There's still a heart-breaking rate of homelessness/begging
I still have a passion for sharing the Good News purposefully

Different:
I don't have a built-in network of local friends, but I'm building one slowly through church, work etc.
I don't have a secure job (that's a whole different post!)
I don't have a clear vision of my purpose in ministry/work/the near future
I'm here for good
There's a beach within walking distance!
I have a lot less free time

No comments: